Our preschool curriculum is aligned with the Minnesota Early Childhood Indicators of Progress to prepare students for success in kindergarten and beyond. McKinley uses Opening The World of Learning (OWL) as a full developmental curriculum to meet state standards in math, literacy and language, social studies and science. Second Step is our social-emotional curriculum designed to aide in the development of social skills and teach students about self and emotional awareness. To track progress in the developmental domains, McKinley Preschool uses Teaching Strategies Gold. Teachers are trained in using the assessment tool to best capture where each child is at socially/emotionally, physically, and cognitively. Teaching Strategies is an authentic observation-based assessment
Our school truly values partnership with families and building a positive community and culture within our care. To maintain communication with families, preschool classrooms interact with parents and caregivers through SeeSaw, a platform to message with teachers and share student work and pictures. Teachers also are trained in the Pyramid Model, which is a guide for teachers to positively affect behaviors and relationships within our classrooms.
McKinley staff work together to:
- Support and nurture the growth of each child
- focus on cognitive, social and emotional, physical, and creative development
- provide a safe, nurturing, and enriched classroom
- emphasize social and emotional competence
- create diverse, culturally responsive and inclusive preschool classes
- commit to meeting the needs of all learners with varied approaches to teaching
- bring typically developing preschoolers and those with special needs together to learn and grow in a welcoming environment
Children who are 3 or 4 years old by Sept 1, 2022 are eligible for preschool.